Aamir Khan Steps Away From 'Mogul', Subhash Kapoor Dropped As Director

Aamir Khan Steps Away From

Aamir Khan Steps Away From 'Mogul', Subhash Kapoor Dropped As Director

New Delhi: After Aamir Khan and wife Kiran Rao's statement that they are stepping away from the Mogul, films director Subhash Kapor has been dropped out from the movie. Aamir Khan and wife Kiran Rao gave joint statement on Wednesday night announcing that they  are stepping away from the film because of sexual misconduct allegations against a team member. Mogul producer Bhushan Kumar told Indian Express that Subhash Kapoor - who is believed to be the person Aamir and Kiran meant in their statement - will no longer direct the film, a biopic of Bhushan Kumar's father, slain T-Series founder Gulshan Kumar. 

The name of the team member has not be taken by Aamir Khan or his wife Kiran Rao who were meant to co-produce the film. Subhash Kapoor also told Indian Express that he respects Mr Khan's decision and hopes to clear himself in court.

Also Read: Megastar Aamir Khan Says He 'Cries When His Films Don't Work'

Subhash Kapoor has been accused of of molesting actor Geetika Tyagi in 2014 and the matter is in court. "It is our foremost duty to make our industry safe for everyone, make an industry that creates environment of equality and a better place to work. With the on-going proceedings against the director that have been brought to our notice, everyone at T-Series has decided to not work with the director," Bhushan Kumar told Indian Express.

Asked if this meant that Aamir Khan would get back on board again after Subhash Kapoor's exit, Mr Kumar told the Indian Express, "That I can't comment now as you can understand from his tweet he has nothing against us but director."

Subhash Kapoor has essentially named himself as the 'someone' in the statement, telling Indian Express: "I understand and respect Aamir Khan's and Kiran Rao's decision. Since matter is subjudice, I intend to prove my innocence in the court of law. But I do want to raise a question - is secretly filming a crying woman without her consent and knowledge and uploading it on social media not harassment or abuse? Or is it fine if she is related to someone who is "accused" of a misconduct. If your answer is latter then for me it's nothing less than a khaap panchayat mentality."

Quoting Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao's statement, Geetika Tyagi thanked the couple and wrote, "This is commendable and this is the kind of support we want so that more and more women can come out. Thank you."

 

Earlier this week, Ms Tyagi pointed out that even though the Mumbai Academy of the Moving Image (MAMI) had dropped films by directors or actors accused of harassment, Kiran Rao, the chairperson of MAMI, and Aamir Khan were still associated with Subhash Kapoor.

 

In their statement, Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao say their production house has a zero tolerance policy towards sexual harassment and they believe that the #MeToo movement is a chance for the film industry to clean house.

 

Several film fraternity members have been outed as alleged sexual predators in the last two weeks, among them actors Nana Patekar and Alok Nath.

For more Entertainment News Click Here

Support Our Credible Journalism By subscribing to dailyaddaa. For the latest news on dailyaddaa, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.